Mr. DeVore's Classroom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miranda Rights and Terror Suspects (Hr 7)

+7
Crow_Kaitlyn
Meagan S
EricM
Trey
tnunemaker
Derek M
Admin
11 posters

Go down

Miranda Rights and Terror Suspects (Hr 7) Empty Miranda Rights and Terror Suspects (Hr 7)

Post  Admin Wed May 18, 2011 10:49 am

In 4-6 Sentences write a proposal that you think the United States should adopt regarding when they should and should not use the Miranda rights with terrorist suspects. Include support for your proposal.

Once you have finished your proposal look over your classmates and comment on at least one.

Admin
Admin

https://mrdevoresclassroom.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Miranda Rights and Terror Suspects (Hr 7) Empty Proposal

Post  Derek M Wed May 18, 2011 3:06 pm

The proposal should be that if the person is a threat to public safety they shouldn't have the same amount of rights. If a terrorist is arrested and is likely to hurt many people then he should have less rights then others. Sum it up, if there a big threat to a lot of peoples safety then they shouldn't have Miranda Rights or any like that.

Derek M

Back to top Go down

Miranda Rights and Terror Suspects (Hr 7) Empty Response

Post  tnunemaker Wed May 18, 2011 3:09 pm

The United States should develop a new policy regarding when Miranda Rights should be read to a terrorist suspect. I believe the Miranda Rights should be read to terrorist suspects if they are willing to continue giving the enforcement officers answers afterwards. Anyone being uncooperative and not willing to give out helpful information should not deserve to have their Miranda Rights read to them. Also, if it is apparent the terrorist suspect is most likely guilty of the crime, the main focus should be to get information from them rather than reading the terrorists their rights.

tnunemaker

Back to top Go down

Miranda Rights and Terror Suspects (Hr 7) Empty Re: Miranda Rights and Terror Suspects (Hr 7)

Post  Trey Wed May 18, 2011 3:11 pm

In an example of terrorists being convicted, the Miranda Rights shall be read before an officer questions him or otherwise known as, custodial interrogation. Although, if the person starts saying information before the officer questions him, the information can be used in court. But at the same time, I feel that authorities should be able to question a terrorists at the scene if they have enough evidence that there could be another possibility of a bombing. Even though the terrorist feels as if they should be read their Miranda Rights, I firmly believe that it is okay that they don't when the country is in danger.

Trey

Back to top Go down

Miranda Rights and Terror Suspects (Hr 7) Empty Re: Miranda Rights and Terror Suspects (Hr 7)

Post  tnunemaker Wed May 18, 2011 3:11 pm

I agree with Derek that criminals interfering with public safety does not deserve to be presented with the same amount of rights.

tnunemaker

Back to top Go down

Post  EricM Wed May 18, 2011 3:12 pm

I think the government should be able to hold miranda warnings if it will save lives. If the terrorists have information that could save lives, like a bombing that's about to occur, the government should be able to find out. They should be able to hold the warnings until they get important information that could save lives. For these reasons, I think the government should be able to hold miranda warnings temporarily.

EricM

Back to top Go down

Post  Meagan S Wed May 18, 2011 3:12 pm

I think that terrorist should have the same right no matter what. We are all people even though they are a danger to the safty of the public I think they should be treated the same as everyone else. They should have their Miranda rights read to them and the Consititution should apply to them also

Meagan S

Back to top Go down

Miranda Rights and Terror Suspects (Hr 7) Empty Miranda Rights and Suspected Terrorists (hr. 7)

Post  Crow_Kaitlyn Wed May 18, 2011 3:13 pm

If you are suspected of terrorism then yes you should be read your Miranda Warnings. But terrorists shouldn't be given Miranda Rights. If they aren't going to follow the laws we place for them then why should they get the same amount of privileges as the rest of the law-abiding citizens. Also if you are being a public menace then why do they feel the right to have rights? Lastly Miranda Rights aren't necessarily rights they are warnings.

Crow_Kaitlyn

Back to top Go down

Post  EricM Wed May 18, 2011 3:14 pm

I agree with derek. If the information that could be retrieved would save people's lives, it is important to get that, even if it means holding miranda warnings.

EricM

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron G Wed May 18, 2011 3:14 pm

The United States should develop a new proposal to when a terrorist suspect should read their miranda rights. I think the United States should adopt a proposal something like, if a terrorist susppect that they don't know for sure was threatening lives, they should be read their rights. If they knew for sure who the person was that was tourising them, they shouldn't have to be protected by the United States. If human lives are at risk, they should do whatever they need to to make sure that people are safe.

Cameron G

Back to top Go down

Miranda Rights and Terror Suspects (Hr 7) Empty malia g

Post  mgudenkauf1 Wed May 18, 2011 3:15 pm

I believe the police should read the Miranda rights before interrogation. They are in US custody so they should be treated as any other suspect. Therefore if they don't read them while they have a suspect detained then they shouldn't be able to use any evidence in court. Even though they are terrorist they should still be considered and treated the same way as any other suspect.

mgudenkauf1

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron G Wed May 18, 2011 3:16 pm

I agree with Derek. A terrorist suspect is threating lives of people, they should have very little to no rights at all.

Cameron G

Back to top Go down

Miranda Rights and Terror Suspects (Hr 7) Empty response

Post  JoeL Wed May 18, 2011 3:17 pm

I believe that terrorists or suspected terrorists should not receive the same rights as everyone else. Obviously if they are terrorists or are suspected to be terrorists then they have done something that was against the law or have tried to harm other citizens. In this case they should be stripped of their rights and not allowed their Miranda Rights.

JoeL

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeL Wed May 18, 2011 3:19 pm

[quote="EricM"]I think the government should be able to hold miranda warnings if it will save lives. If the terrorists have information that could save lives, like a bombing that's about to occur, the government should be able to find out. They should be able to hold the warnings until they get important information that could save lives. For these reasons, I think the government should be able to hold miranda warnings temporarily.[I agree with Eric because if they remain silent, authorities might not be able to get the information they need fast enough to save the lives of the innocent./quote]

JoeL

Back to top Go down

Miranda Rights and Terror Suspects (Hr 7) Empty Austin Hawkins

Post  Ahawkins1 Mon May 23, 2011 11:15 am

When it comes to terrorists suspects, the police should not have to read them there Miranda rights. Since it is a life or death situation, the police need to get as much information as they can in a short amount of time. But, if the person ended up not being involved in the terrorist act, the facts the police obtained shouldn't be allowed to be used in court. The only time the suspected terrorist should have to have his miranda rights read to him is when there is no immediate threat. Otherwise, the miranda rights shouldn't be required to be read to terrorist suspects in life or death situations.

Ahawkins1

Back to top Go down

Post  Ahawkins1 Mon May 23, 2011 11:17 am

EricM wrote:I think the government should be able to hold miranda warnings if it will save lives. If the terrorists have information that could save lives, like a bombing that's about to occur, the government should be able to find out. They should be able to hold the warnings until they get important information that could save lives. For these reasons, I think the government should be able to hold miranda warnings temporarily.

Austin Hawkins- I agree with Eric. If the obtained information will save lives, the miranda rights should be able to be put on hold.

Ahawkins1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down