Mr. DeVore's Classroom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drug Courts

+31
tnunemaker
Damain Gassman
Crow_Kaitlyn
JoeL
Dierra.s
AmandaS
Derek M
EricM
Ami B
claytonk
DanielB
TylerS
Hailey S
Cody H.
Maddie B
SethV
Bri M
Izzy
mark n
Jacob S.
cgimse
mochathunder9898
Sneha
JesseH
LindseyS
Josh K
TristanB
RachaelButz
LoganH
T-Lexi
Admin
35 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What should happen with drug courts?

Drug Courts Vote_lcap43%Drug Courts Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 23 ]
Drug Courts Vote_lcap54%Drug Courts Vote_rcap 54% 
[ 29 ]
Drug Courts Vote_lcap3%Drug Courts Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 54

Poll closed

Drug Courts Empty Drug Courts

Post  Admin Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:12 am

In class you have read two different opinions on drug courts. These opinions were done by experts in the field. Where do you stand on this issue? Are drug courts something that should continue and expand or are they pointless?

If you would like more information on what they do and how well they're working click here.

After you vote post a comment that explains your beliefs on drug courts. The answers should be in complete sentences. You will also need to reply to at least one other person's comment. Make sure to include your first name and last initial at the end of your post.

Dan D.

Last edited by Admin on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

https://mrdevoresclassroom.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Drug Courts Empty Re: Drug Courts

Post  T-Lexi Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:50 am

I think drugs courts are a great idea. Obviously they work like in the video of the guitar player guy whose life was completely turned around through the usage of drug courts. They rehabilitate the drug user and transform them into functioning, productive members of our society. There should be more drug courts in the United States.

T-Lexi

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganH Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:37 pm

I think that drug courts are a good idea. They give people a second chance to turn their life around and they save money for taxpayers.Because of these things it seems that drug court is working well and it is also cutting down on crime. Drug courts are a very good idea and we should have more of them.

LoganH

Back to top Go down

Post  RachaelButz Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:38 pm

I think drug courts are a good idea because they will teach drug users and stuff that its bad and they will learn their lesson. Plus they will be sober for a long time, so they won't want to get addicted again.

RachaelButz

Back to top Go down

Post  TristanB Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:39 pm

I think Drug courts are a good idea. Although they may not work for some, most have been proven to be a positive outcome. I think we should keep them.

TristanB

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh K Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:40 pm

i think drug courts are a good idea for those who want to change.
if they don't want to change, you cant help them. So drug courts are useless unless the person the wants the change.

Josh K

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganH Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:40 pm

TristanB wrote:I think Drug courts are a good idea. Although they may not work for some, most have been proven to be a positive outcome. I think we should keep them.
I agree with you that they may not work for every one but that they are still a good idea.

LoganH

Back to top Go down

Post  TristanB Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:41 pm

LoganH wrote:I think that drug courts are a good idea. They give people a second chance to turn their life around and they save money for taxpayers.Because of these things it seems that drug court is working well and it is also cutting down on crime. Drug courts are a very good idea and we should have more of them.

I agree with Logan. They do give people the second chance to turn their lives around.

TristanB

Back to top Go down

Post  LindseyS Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:41 pm

I think drug courts are a good idea but they should not increase the number of them. Hopefully they would help cut down on crime. afro cat What a Face

LindseyS

Back to top Go down

Post  JesseH Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:42 pm

Drug courts are an interesting idea that seems to have some success rate. The only draw back seems to be the limited success. So I think we should keep them but the country will have no benefit from more of them. Less crime is better but the small fraction is not enough to increase numbers and keep funding.

JesseH

Back to top Go down

Drug Courts Empty Sneha

Post  Sneha Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:42 pm

Ithink drug courts are a very good idea. It gives people the oppurtunity to change their ways and to improve their lifestyle. It also saves many a taxpayers' money. But most importantly, it provides personal guidance to recovery. Give people a second chance.

Sneha

Back to top Go down

Drug Courts Empty Drug courts

Post  mochathunder9898 Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:42 pm

I think drug courts are great. It gives a safe environment for drug and substance users that are trying to change their lives around.

mochathunder9898

Back to top Go down

Post  cgimse Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:42 pm

Drug Courts are a great concept that will help many rebuild their lives. I believe that more should be made to allow everyone access to this great program. Even if it doen't work for some, they will just go to jail later for a violent drug charge. Because of this, I belive drug courts should be continued and expanded.

cgimse

Back to top Go down

Drug Courts Empty Drug Courts

Post  Jacob S. Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:43 pm

I believe drug courts are a good thing. As it was stated, it saves taxpayers money. Also, even with the high rate of recidivism, we must start somewhere. After these courts, there are 47% less drug abusers on the street than there would have been without them

Jacob S.

Back to top Go down

Drug Courts Empty Drug courts

Post  mark n Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:45 pm

I think drug courts are a very good idea because unlike prisons they are a more positive environment. Like the guy from phish said drugs are very common in prison but in drug courts they are hard to find. In drug court 53% go back to doing drugs but in prison 58% go back to there old ways I know this is still a bad percent but that is still an improvement from prison.

Mark n Very Happy

mark n

Back to top Go down

Post  Izzy Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:45 pm

I think that drug courts are a helpful thing, but we don't need tons of them. They are affective for people who want to change but don't know how, but for other they are a waste of time and resources because they don't find any problems on how they live and don't want to change.

Izzy

Back to top Go down

Post  JesseH Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:46 pm

LoganH wrote:I think that drug courts are a good idea. They give people a second chance to turn their life around and they save money for taxpayers.Because of these things it seems that drug court is working well and it is also cutting down on crime. Drug courts are a very good idea and we should have more of them.
It is true that crime is reduced but the tripled drug arrests in the article and the repeat offender rate going down only like 4% it is not very helpful.javascript:emoticonp('affraid')

JesseH

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacob S. Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:47 pm

Sneha wrote:Ithink drug courts are a very good idea. It gives people the oppurtunity to change their ways and to improve their lifestyle. It also saves many a taxpayers' money. But most importantly, it provides personal guidance to recovery. Give people a second chance.

I agree with Sneha because jail may do nothing for them whereas with this program they can actually get the help they need

Jacob S.

Back to top Go down

Post  mark n Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:47 pm

JesseH wrote:Drug courts are an interesting idea that seems to have some success rate. The only draw back seems to be the limited success. So I think we should keep them but the country will have no benefit from more of them. Less crime is better but the small fraction is not enough to increase numbers and keep funding.

I agree with this but even if there is only limited success there is still some success.

mark n

Back to top Go down

Drug Courts Empty Bri M

Post  Bri M Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:48 pm

Drug Courts are a great idea because they give people a better option than prison and rehab. The courts have a more positive feel than prison and are a bit more watchful than rehab. I think they balance well between strict and positive attitudes.

Bri M

Back to top Go down

Post  SethV Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:26 pm

Drug courts are good, but may not work at the time. I think they should keep it though.

SethV

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddie B Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:27 pm

I believe drug courts could be helpful some people my find it more beneficial than rehab or prison but if someone doesn't want to be helped they wont and which they need the prison or rehab. I also believe that there should be atleast one in every state, maybe in larger cities, we don't need hundreds in just one state alone, spread them around.

Maddie B

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddie B Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Josh K wrote:i think drug courts are a good idea for those who want to change.
if they don't want to change, you cant help them. So drug courts are useless unless the person the wants the change.
Well said, because seriously if someone doesn't want help and is bull-headed enough it's not going to change them, in which case more harsh actions need to be used.

Maddie B

Back to top Go down

Drug Courts Empty Druggery Courts

Post  Cody H. Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:30 pm

Ok. So the way I see it, the courts are just their own rehab system. Maybe this system is like rehab and probation mixed together. I think that there should be more long term studies on the current ones before more are made. I just don't see the benefit of running a special court without knowing its effects for certain.

-Codi H.

Cody H.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hailey S Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:30 pm

I think drug courts should stop and not be funded. The courts are pointless and I think the offenders should serve time.

Hailey(:

Hailey S

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum